Pages

Tuesday 18 August 2020

Engineering Evidence Blog - Hand Tools

Baylie Raxworthy

132030449 

This is an entry-level unit standard for people to demonstrate a basic understanding of selecting, using and caring for the correct type of engineering hand tools. 


People credited with this unit standard are able to demonstrate knowledge of the selection of different types of hand tools; select and use engineering hand tools to meet task requirements; and care for engineering hand tools. 


Engineering hand tools applicable to this unit standard fall within the following categories:

 Cutting tools: examples – hacksaws, chisels, files, hole punches, tin snips. 

Assembly tools: examples – hammers, punches, vices, clamps, spanners, wrenches (including impact and torque), pliers.


My evidence to support my assessment booklet 


Cutting tools.




Hack saw 

In this photo I am using a 32 tpi hacksaw to cut my bar that is 410mm long 16mm wide and has a thickness of 4mm.




Metal file 

Here I am using a flat file to square my bar that is 410mm long 16mm wide and thickness of 4mm.

    


Tin snips

I am using tin snipes to cut sheet metal that is 110mm wide 65mm long and 1.5mm thick.





Assembly tools 




Spanner or wrench

I was tightening the nut on the mil for my work



Hammer

Here I am using a hammer and a centre punch to mark where I am going to drill an 8mm hole so I can place a bolt into it.



Gripping tools

I am using a clamp to hold my work together to wield to create a frame for my project.


What have I learnt?

I learnt how to use a range of hand tools during the year since this is my first year in engineering. I have gained a bunch of experience around tools, what they do, and how to use them.

What was the most difficult tool to use and why?

I think the file was one of the most difficult to use just because it was very time consuming and you had to try to make everything as square as possible.

What did I enjoy?

I enjoyed wielding the frame because it was satisfying watching it come together.


What would I do differently next time?

Faster production definitely so I can meet the deadline and start another project.



This supports the assessment for Hand Tools that can be found on this website https://sites.google.com/hornby.school.nz/mr-r-manufacturing/senior-manufactring/hand-tools


For more information on industry qualifications:www.competenz.org.nz/jobseekers/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.